Saturday, December 4, 2010

Recommended holiday craft book: A Greener Christmas

edited by Sheherazade Goldsmith
745.59412 GRE
Find it in the catalog!

A Greener Christmas is filled with a variety creative ideas for holiday crafts, decorations, gifts, and recipes. Even if you are a novice crafter you will find projects to complete, such as natural cards, recycled paper cards, or fabric Christmas cards. If you enjoy sewing, colorful crafts like fabric garland, glove purses, or a flock of festive birds are projects you may like to tackle. I really appreciate that the idea for these crafts is that you are using what you already have on hand. Many times I come across interesting projects that require materials I would have to go out and purchase before I could even start any of the steps. Now whenever I work on crafts and greeting cards my goal is to reuse as many materials as possible in the creation of something new.

Not into crafts at all? I still recommend this book to you if you enjoy baking or cooking. Goldsmith provides tips on buying locally, choosing seasonal foods, and more. Plus you'll find many mouth-watering recipes to make for holiday get-togethers, like shortbread cookies, spiced nuts, mulled drinks, ginger cake, and four types of stuffing.

A Greener Christmas is also a great gift to buy for a friend or family member who enjoys crafting and baking. The book includes many color photos of both the finished products and the instructions, which I'm always happy to see and is extremely helpful.