Friday, November 12, 2010

Amazon's Best of 2010

As we approach the end of the year, we'll see more and more best of 2010 lists. One I find especially valuable is Amazon's best of the year. I'll extol its virtues with a list of my own:

1) There are 100 titles, which allows for quite a bit of variety.

2) I like to see if I have read any of them (no), so I can see if I'm more in-the-know than I thought (no).

3) Decide, then, which ones I would like to read. Amazon does a good job of giving you a lot of information up front about titles. Not only the synopsis, but reviews from professionals and customers, author information, and some books you're able to "look inside."

4) Compare the customers' ratings and how they align with the editors' choices. I have found that customers are harsher. Controversy can be good.

5) Ideas for holiday gift giving. There's something for everyone.

Check our catalog before you buy. We might have what you're looking for.